There are separate binaries for Windows (Intel 32/64-bit), macOS (Intel 64-bit) and GNU/Linux (Intel 32/64-bit, Arm 32/64-bit).
The binary files are available from GitHub releases.
The full details of installing the xPack Meson Build on various platforms are presented in the separate Install page.
To install the latest version available, use:
$ xpm install --global @xpack-dev-tools/meson-build@latest
To install this specific version, use:
$ xpm install --global @email@example.com
The xPack Meson Build is based on the official Meson build system, without any changes.
The current version is based on:
- Meson release 0.55.3 from Sep 11th, 2020.
- [#1] - when installing meson as a project dependency, starting it fails on macOS, due to a bug preventing it to follow links; fixed;
- [#2] - when generating commands in ninja.build that refer to itself, on Linux & macOS the path is not correct, it contains only a folder; fixed.
Compared to the upstream version, there are no functional changes.
To simplify dependency management, this release embeds a Python 3.8.6 instance.
meson executable is a standard ELF/EXE which includes the Python
main() function prepares the Python environment and then
invokes the Meson main:
PyRun_SimpleString("from mesonbuild import mesonmain\n"); PyRun_SimpleString("sys.exit(mesonmain.main())\n");
The Python library is located in the standard location:
lib/python3.8/lib-dynload(the platform dependent files)
The Meson files are located in:
To speed up execution, all Python files are compiled and are
available only as
On all platforms the packages are standalone, and expect only the standard runtime to be present on the host.
All dependencies that are build as shared libraries are copied locally in the same folder as the executable.
On GNU/Linux the binaries are adjusted to use a relative path:
$ readelf -d library.so | grep runpath 0x000000000000001d (RPATH) Library rpath: [$ORIGIN]
In the GNU ld.so search strategy, the
the highest priority, higher than
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so if this later one
is set in the environment, it should not interfere with the xPack binaries.
Similarly, on macOS, the binaries are adjusted with
otool to use a
The original documentation is available from:
Binaries for Windows, macOS and GNU/Linux are provided.
The binaries were built using the xPack Build Box (XBB), a set of build environments based on slightly older distributions, that should be compatible with most recent systems.
- Intel GNU/Linux: all binaries were built with GCC 9.3, running in an Ubuntu 12 Docker container
- Arm GNU/Linux: all binaries were built with GCC 9.3, running in an Ubuntu 16 Docker container (added in mid-2020)
- Windows: all binaries were built with mingw-w64 GCC 9.3, running in an Ubuntu 12 Docker container
- macOS: all binaries were built with GCC 9.3, running in a separate folder on macOS 10.10.5.
The scripts used to build this distribution are in:
For the prerequisites and more details on the build procedure, please see the How to build page.
The first set of tests were performed on Travis, by running a simple script to check if the binaries start on a wide range of platforms and distributions:
The SHA-256 hashes for the files are:
888a4c3bde5510c46c45c5d01fc27af761e41af90c3448ddd2f9ee8e6f1da7ea xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-darwin-x64.tar.gz 8c2e55812507ed7dbff0b057eb9cc238ef41dbc27925db9ae2e67cb5a6eb9d8b xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-linux-arm64.tar.gz 20c6d73fde010f5b11d7bb9c404880941d4273ffe1a821b11587097aa787288a xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-linux-arm.tar.gz 278d8f45ca573ec528264700ef0333fb4454349c7b5d0194e2873d24bd633fff xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-linux-x32.tar.gz 3d3d0cde9cff54f8aa5f92461bd44b06c56b8632589ea46cfdf0ebdc4d349ace xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-linux-x64.tar.gz 2985a09f488869e994866010df26dfbf8678e313095593e0590682baf37c5c0d xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-win32-x32.zip de78bdb101d9270a534439209756fa844fedbc930a2e1062a5d16eb15f58502e xpack-meson-build-0.55.3-2-win32-x64.zip
- GitHub xpack-dev-tools/meson-build-xpack
- this release
- all xPack releases
- individual file counters (grouped per release)
- npmjs.com @xpack-dev-tools/meson-build