- eCos - The embedded configurable operating system by Cygnus Solutions (Wikipedia)
- Manual: The eCos Component Writer’s Guide, by Bart Veer and John Dallaway, published in 2001, available from eCos Documentation.
- Book: Embedded software development with eCos, by Anthony J. Massa, published in 2003 at Prentice Hall, available from Amazon
- Book: Software Build Systems: Principles and Experience, by Peter Smith, published in 2011 at Addison Wesley, available from Amazon
- IEEE Std 830-1998: IEEE Recommended Practice for Software Requirements Specifications, published in 1998
- CMSIS-Pack - Arm mechanism to install software, device support, APIs, and example projects
Distribution management systems
- OpenEmbedded - the build framework for embedded Linux (with more detail in the Yocto documentation)
- BitBake User Manual
- Gentoo Development Guide
- MacPorts Guide
- Arch PKGBUILD
- NPM - the package manager for JS (special interest for the packet.json format)
- yotta - mbed module manager
IoT development environments
For an exhaustive list, see Wikipedia.
- Apache Maven (written in Java, XML configuration files)
- SCons (configuration files are Python scripts)
- RAKE - Ruby Make (tasks and dependencies in Ruby)
- buildr - Apache Buildr is a build system for Java-based applications
- Gradle (written in Groovy)
- CMake (written in C++; uses native builders like make)
- Waf (a build tool written in Python)
- GNU Make (the classical tool; hopeless for folders with spaces)
For an exhaustive list see Wikipedia.
- Hudson (the original Sun project, donated by Oracle to the Eclipse Foundation)
- Jenkins (the more active fork, backed by the project creator)
- Travis (the GitHub preferred solution, very good integration)
- Felix Geisendörfer’s Node.js Style Guide
- Docker and Node.js Best Practices
Comments on the content of this page that might be useful for other readers are welcomed here. For questions and general support, please use the project GitHub Discussions pages.